Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Putting up Meat

Last week when I went grocery shopping I FINALLY found some good deals on meat! I was SO HAPPY! In months I hadn't had great deals on any type of meat and when your not eating a ton of it that's all fine and dandy but when out diet changed and we eat a Meat, Whole Grain, and Veggie and or Fruit for dinner... kinda makes it expensive to buy that much meat!

Here's a run down of what I bought that was on a good sale:
2 Family packages of Fajita Chicken meat for $1.00 a lb = 9 lbs total
3 Family packages of Split Chicken Breast for $0.88 a lb = 13 1/2 lbs total

It came out to about 22 1/2 lbs of meat. But they all came in family packages which we won't use in one sitting.
So I split the Fajita meat right away into reg meal size which made about 5 bags of meat.
I froze the chicken breasts for later as they were already frozen solid and I was to tired to deal with it that night. :-)



So today I had set them out and finally got around to boiling it and putting it all away for meals later. I cooked up 2 of the packages of chicken breasts and just split the other package up for other meals with whole chicken breasts. I got 6 bags of 2 cups ea. of the chicken and 7 bags of chicken broth.

Will be nice later to pull already cooked meat out of the freezer! And a nice bonus that I got 13 meals out of all that meat! And even better? It will cost about $1.60 EACH meal for meat! I'm happy! :-D Share

5 comments:

Traci Best said...

Way to go! I love to find a good meat sale! ;)

Traci

Heidi Boos said...

I've been trying to do a lot more pre-meal prep, so this is a great idea of cooking the chicken to have handy for meals that need it. Nice work on saving some money!!

Mom2fur said...

Good for you! I need to replenish my freezer supply, too. I'm down to just a few things. I sure hope I can find some good deals like you did!

Rebekah said...

Glad to hear that you had the energy to do all that cooking and putting up! Even the shopping...I know how tired you've been.

Brooke said...

good job! :)

kroger finally put their chicken breasts on sale last week - i was about to run out!

Groupon.com