Friday, January 4, 2008

Tons of potatoes

Well maybe not tons of them! :-)


A few days ago I asked "How to freeze potatoes?"
Well I read a few things and set out with my bags of
potatoes ready to roll.

I decided not TO do to many just because I really didn't want to
sit and peel 20 bags of potatoes. :-)

First I started off with a sink full on water to put peeled potatoes in.
Then I peeled and peeled and peeled.


I put 2 pots of water on to start to boil to blanch the potatoes.
I then started on 1/2 of the potatoes grading them for hash browns,
breakfast tacos and for a few other meals. I grated only as much as I
could blanch at one time as so they wouldn't go brown sitting on the counter
after they had been grated.

I blanched them for a few mins and then drained them.
Set them on the counter to dry before putting in bags.


After I was done with the grated potatoes I cubed the rest for soups
and other dishes.
I blanched them for a few mins just like I did with the grated potatoes.
Then drained and cooled and put in plastic bags.
I have the brown hands, only one burn, and the
bags of potatoes in my freezer to show for all my
hard work! :-D
And it wasn't TO hard!!!
Share

3 comments:

Heart 4 My Home said...

You are so smart to work up your potatoes like you did. I know you are going to be one happy chef when you are ready to make a dish and all you have to do is pull out a bag of your bounty from the freezer.

Great Job!

Anonymous said...

Great tip for those times when we can get potatoes very cheap! And how it will simplify meal prep. Thanks!

Stephanie said...

This is great! So often I can get potatoes on the reduced rack but I never thought of freezing them like you did! Thanks for sharing!

Groupon.com